.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle Feeding

William is 11 weeks today and that means I have been breastfeeding for about 2.5 months. Also, for the past two weeks, he has been in daycare. Therefore, he is now both breastfed and bottle fed. Which one do I prefer?

Honestly, even with all the struggles that I had with breastfeeding, I prefer the breast over bottle feeding tenfold. Reasons why I dislike bottle feeding:

1. I HATE washing bottles. We have a separate container (his old pink hospital bathtub) that we keep dirty bottles, nipples, and pumping equipment in to wash. Every night I am hand washing and drying flanges, nipples, bottles, caps etc.

2. I really don't like pumping. I really takes so much time out of my day and I don't get nearly as much out as I would if he breastfed. The pump with all its gear is another bag I have to carry back and forth with me to work. I have to make sure that I have enough storage containers and freezer space (for what I don't use within 3 days).

3. You have to heat up a bottle, which takes time. In that time, my little one is having a meltdown. By the time the bottle is done, he has worked himself up so much, that he doesn't take the bottle well. He either screams and refuses it, OR he guzzles it so fast, he makes himself choke or spit-up. Daycare now feeds him every 2 hours to prevent this problem.

4. You have to make sure to keep track of dates of when you pumped. How old is the milk? If its too old, it needs to be frozen. Have you pumped enough for the next day? Yesterday, daycare spilled half his bottle and they were going to call me in to bring more. Thankfully, he fell asleep and didn't need that last ounce and a half. So now I am supplying them with 1 extra bottle (just in case).

Now I am not going to say that breastfeeding doesn't have its pitfalls. It does still hurt from time to time. But it is miles better than were I was at 2.5 weeks.