.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Good News and Bad News on Fish

Doctors have warned pregnant women that certain fish contain high levels of mercury. There are four fish to stay away from: shark, king mackerel, swordfish and tilefish.
They do say that the other fish are very health and should be eaten during pregnancy (in moderation). Fish that you can eat 6 times a month include: Bass ( Striped, Black), Carp, Cod ( Alaskan), Croaker ( White Pacific), Halibut ( Pacific and Atlantic), Jacksmelt ( Silverside), Lobster, Mahi Mahi, Monkfish, Perch (freshwater), Sablefish, Skate, Snapper, Sea Trout ( Weakfish), Tuna (canned, chunk light), and Tuna (Skipjack).
As you know, I have been having a hard time finding a protein that I like. Thankfully I tried cod over the weekend and it wasn't bad. I bought a nice captains cut fillet yesterday, steamed it in butter and had it over buttered bread (Steve had fish too but his was breaded and fried). It was delicious and it was the first time I felt full in weeks! Unfortunately, I cant eat fish every day, but its nice to know that I can have it once-twice a week. I am still on the hunt for other proteins and I am hoping that I can slowly bring back meat. Not sure if I am ready to dive into tofu yet....