.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Lupus Update: No more cellcept!

I saw my nephrologist today and talked to him about all my medication, as well as our plans for the future. Before lupus, my husband and I had agreed that we wanted more than just one baby. Lupus has definitely thrown a wrench into our plans and having another baby is extremely risky, especially with all the medication that I am taking.

Currently I am on mycophenolate mofetil (3 grams, or 6 pills a day), hydroxyquin (300mg or 1 1/2 pills a day), losartan (10 mg or 1 pill a day) and microgestin (1 pill a day). He has agreed to take me off of the mycophenolate mofetil (cellcept) and switch me to another immunosuppressive called Imuran (azathioprine). This means that I would only have to take 2 pills (and not the 6). He is also stopping my Losartan for two weeks (1 less pill!). His plan is to test my blood/urine in two weeks to see how my body tolerates the change, as well as test me for another autoimmune disease (antiphospholipid antibody syndrome), which is common in nephritis patients. I have been in remission since December and he was thrilled with my last set of blood work. All in all, positive news!