.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

5 weeks!



Saturday, October 23rd, marks me at 5 weeks! This past week has been filled with worry and bloodwork, but first, let me start from the beginning.


Last Friday I had gotten some herbal tea in the mail. Steve and I have been trying for a family but I thought we were out this month because I gotten my "monthly visit". This particular herbal tea had the warning, "Do not to drink if pregnant".

As I was still on my monthly visit, I was pretty sure that I wasn't pregnant. I hadn't tested this month and had a bunch left, so I thought, why not. All its going to tell me is that I am not and I can drink my new tea. I took a test, threw it aside and was about to head downstairs to make some tea.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two lines appear and instantly freaked out! I stared at the test, and was afraid that if I looked away, that little line would disappear. What does one do when one gets a positive pregnancy test. Well, the only thing to do is to take another. I took another test 30 mins later and it was beautifully positive. I called my doctor who suggested that since I was still bleeding to get some bloodwork done. Steve was on his way home. I was originally going to surprise him, but you know me.... horrible at surprises.

When he got home, I had the phone on my hand (waiting for the doctor to call back) and a big cheesy grin. His first thought... We won the lottery. I walked up to him, hugged him and told him I took a test. It took him a minute or two to understand. Then he was thrilled but worried and we both waited for the doctor to call back.

I had bloodwork taken Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, and again Saturday to confirm HCG hormone levels (called betas). They are suppose to double every 48-72 hours. Mine were:

Saturday- 111
Monday- 275
Wednesday- 1100
Saturday- 2678

So far my little bean is the size of a sesame seed and growing at a furious pace. Our due date is June 23rd.

I hope not to have any more blood work for the next week or so. Apparently I have very tiny, difficult veins. My poor arms looks like it was beaten and I feel like pin cushion every time I go to the lab. But I will do anything for this little bean.